Thursday, July 1, 2010

Jessye Norman Sings: 'It Don't Mean A Thing'


The effervescent Jessye Norman is one of the most celebrated sopranos, best known for singing arias on opera stages around the world. But opera lovers may be surprised to hear Norman's new CD, Roots: My Life, My Song, her first solo album in more than 10 years. Recorded live in Berlin, it's a cross-genre celebration of American music — ranging from jazz standards to spirituals and gospel. Norman calls it the music of her heart.

"This music has been playing in my spirit and in my soul all of my life," she says, "and I was remembering all of the things I used to listen to as a child."

Roots begins with an African drumbeat, but soon moves on to iconic songs from some of the biggest names in American music: Duke Ellington, Ella Fitzgerald, Lena Horne, Ethel Waters and Nina Simone.

Note:   Be sure to put the free jazz song (on right hand side) on pause before clicking play - as the beginning of this song has a nice bass and piano intro that's worth hearing



To learn more about Jessye Norman and hear more of her fantastic music click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment